We walked down the road about 1km to the
point where the Tour de France was to go past. When Taryn asked how many cyclists there
would be I said I didn’t know. When she
asked if it would be close to 1000, I knew she was about to be severely
underwhelmed. I fully expected the event
to be over within 30 seconds and yet when it was, I still felt
disappointed. Was all the organisation,
and police, and road closures, and marketing/publicity, and coverage, just for
that short blitz of riders? Surely this must be the least live spectator
friendly sport in the world.
When it was all over we jumped on a train
to Cannes. The film festival was in May
so I lowered my expectations of running into Natalie Portman.
 |
| Big boats as usual around the marina. |
With nothing to do in particular we just had
a look around and ended up catching a ferry out to
Saint Marguerite island for a few hours in the late afternoon. Did you know that at Fort Royal on the island, the man in the iron
mask was held for 11 years? Hmmmmm... me neither.
 |
| Fort Royal on Saint Marguerite Island |
 |
| The view of Cannes from the ferry. |
 |
| Taryn, contemplating life. |
 |
| Wetlands on the island. |
No comments:
Post a Comment